TIPS TO PREVENT DIABETES
Diabetes mellitus is one of the major causes of death globally. About 37 million Americans have diabetes. It is a medical condition when your body fails to remove extra amount of sugar from blood. Your blood glucose level rises, a state called hyperglycemia. Diabetes is of two main types. There are several tips to prevent diabetes and causes of diabetes.
- If it is caused by an autoimmune reaction in the pancreas and body cannot make enough insulin. This is called Diabetes Mellitus type 1.
- If it is due to inability of the body to respond to already present insulin in blood. This is Diabetes Mellitus type 2.
What are the complications of Diabetes mellitus?
- Retinopathy (diseases of blood vessels in retina) : it can lead to loss of vision, if not diagnosed earlier.
- Foot wounds: If it is not treated, it can lead to amputation of the whole limb.
- Stroke and heart attack : High blood glucose level damages the blood vessels and nerves to the heart.
- Nephropathy: Persistent hyperglycemia and hypertension affect the functionality of kidneys.
- Neuropathy : Diabetic persons feel sharp pain in wounds due to nerve damage.
- Gum wounds in mouth: High sugar level in saliva can lead to sores and ulcers in mouth.
- Sexual complications: Diabetes affects blood circulation to your sexual organs. It can cause tactile loss in females and erectile dysfunction in males.
We highly encourage you to have regular diabetes medical checks and acquire knowledge on how you should take care of yourself and prevent diabetes. At Anytime Primary Care Clinic, we always recommend you to check your blood sugar level after every meal (in this way you come to know which foods raise your sugar level and you should avoid them in future).
How to prevent diabetes mellitus?
A)Foods to be avoided:
Carbohydrates, fats and proteins provide energy to the body. Carbohydrates intake has a large impact on blood sugar level. Carbohydrates include sugar, starch as well as fiber. But fiber is absorbed by the body instead of being digested, hence it does not disturbs your glucose level
.• Sugary beverages: Beverages and soda drinks have higher amount of carbohydrates, which tend to raise blood sugar level. Their high fructose level increase insulin resistance in patients which results in higher risk of obesity and fatty liver.
• White bread, pasta and rice: This specific combination can raise blood sugar levels as they have less fiber and more carbs content.
• Sweetened cereals: Most of the breakfast cereals have high carbs and low protein content. Best breakfast choice for diabetics is the one having more proteins and less carbs.
• Honey and maple syrup: Honey and maple syrup raise blood sugar levels.
• Packaged snack food: These snacks are processed foods made from refined flour, which can quickly cause hyperglycemia.
• French fries: High carbon content raises blood glucose level. Since they’re fried in unhealthy oil, it raises risk of cardiac diseases.
• Trans fats: These are linked to insulin resistance, inflammation, heart disease and more belly fat.
• Fruit flavored yogurt: They are risky because they have more sugar and less fats. Plain and whole milk curd is a best option for diabetics.
• Flavored coffee drinks: These coffee drinks have more carbs, which raise sugar levels in blood.
• Dried fruits: Dried fruits have more sugar content as compared to fresh fruits.
• Fruit juice: Fruit juices have higher sugar levels same as soda drinks. Their high fructose level induces insulin resistance and increases the risk of weight gain.
B)Loose some extra pounds:
A study suggests that people reduced their risk of developing diabetes by 60 percent after losing about 7 percent of their weight.
C)Become physically active:
Exercise will help you to lose weight, decrease blood sugar level and increase your sensitivity to insulin.
D)Eat healthy plant foods:
Avoid eating canned vegetables and fruits, pickles, food cooked with butter and cheese, regular jams, deep fried dishes and sweetened foods.
Best snack options for diabetics:
Snacks are very important to keep blood sugar level under control. To prevent insulin induced hypoglycemia, diabetics should take snacks in between their meals. These snacks must contain high amount of proteins, fibers and fats to maintain glucose level normal and prevent hyperglycemia.
- Hard boiled eggs
- Veggies and humus
- Sliced apples with peanut butter
- Beef sticks
- Roasted chick peas
- Tuna salad
- Egg muffins
- Black bean salad
- Banana, carrot
- Trail mix
- Low fat type cottage cheese
- Nuts and peanuts
- Plain low fat yogurt with some fruits like berries
Take healthy diet, exercise regularly, hydrate yourself and avoid sugary foods to prevent diabetes. Visit your doctor regularly for medical check-up. It is very important for diabetic people to make record of their blood sugar levels. Call our diabetes specialist doctor or visit Anytime Urgent Care Clinic.